Acne Scar Management
Stepwise Treatment for Acne Scarring
Acne scarring is a common and frustrating condition. Patients often present with more than one type of acne scar, which may include- ice pick, boxcar, rolling, atrophic, and hypertrophic scars. Given the variety of presentations multiple treatment modalities are required to obtain the optimal treatment outcome, namely smoother appearing skin.
We offer a series of sequential and complimentary treatment modalities for acne scarring. A treatment plan is customized to the individual patient’s specific type of scarring. Some may require stepwise therapy; some may need only a single modality to improve their appearance.
Potential treatment steps include the following therapies or SPIF:
- Subcision: Scars are detached from deeper tissue with a needle. This decreases tethering of rolling scars, elevating the skin to smooth the treatment site.
- Peels: Reduce the variability in the skin surface, softening the appearance of scars through rejuvenation of new collagen.
- Full face chemical peels
- Phenol spot chemabrasion
- Laser skin resurfacing; Improves redness and hyperpigmentation
- Pixel laser, Pulse dye laser
- Intralesional Kenalog: Injection into individual lesions thins and smoothes thickened or hypertrophic scars,
- Fillers: Injections with a filler substance beneath the scar can lift and smooth depressions due to rolling or atrophic scars.
- Bellafill®, Silicone, Radiesse, Restylane
Note that treatment needs to be individualized. Some patients may require multiple sessions of a single modality to obtain the best result. Packages are available for each of the therapeutic modalities offered by our clinic.
Click here for more details on the different types of acne scars with the associated treatment options.