Filler Before and After Care Instructions
Filler Expectations and Instructions
Before your filler appointment discontinue all of the following for 7-10 days: aspirin, motrin, ibuprofen, vitamin E and fish oil, garlic, ginkgo biloba, niacin, flaxseed oil, Omega 3, as these products can cause bruising. We recommend taking Arnica pellets (at Henry’s Marketplace) 3 days prior to your appointment to aid in decrease of bruising and swelling. We recommend leaving paper tape in place at least over night, but no more than 3 days after injection, so plan your appointment accordingly.
Paper tape has been applied to your skin to minimize your facial movements. The paper tape should be left in place over night and ideally for three days. If this is not possible then putting it on nightly will suffice. This will help the newly injected filler stay in place.
- Apply an ice pack or cold wash cloth for 5-10 minutes every 2 hours for the first day, then apply 1-2 times daily for 2 more days. DO NOT apply pressure (unless instructed by your physician.)
- Tylenol or extra strength Tylenol can be taken for discomfort.
- Arnica pills and/ or Arnica cream can be used to decrease bruising and swelling.
- It is normal for the injection areas to be bruised and may take 7-10 days to fade.
- It is normal for the injection areas to be red and swollen for 1-3 days.
- It is normal for one side to be slightly fuller than the other-we will see you in 2-4 weeks for a touch up.
- Make sure to sleep on your back with your head elevated using 2 pillows for 3 nights-this will ensure that the newly injected filler stays in place. Another option would be to use a wrap around neck pillow to stabilize your head.
Please call our office if you have any questions or concerns. We would like to see you in 2-4 weeks for a possible touch up visit. If you require additional filler there will be an additional charge for product. Please contact our office to schedule an appointment.
The Duration Of Fillers Depends on:
- Age (lasts longer in younger)
- Site of injections (lips last less time than cheeks)
- Baseline volume of collagen
- Individuals bone structure
- Skin elasticity
- Amount injected
- If you do not achieve optimal correction, the time the filler lasts maybe shorter.
- Duration of filler = time to lose 50% of filler after optimal correction
Physical exam is needed to determine how much volume is needed to get optimal correction. If you ask a doctor without him looking at your face first, it is like guessing how much air is needed to re-inflate a flat tire without knowing what the tire looks like. On average, it is between 2-6 syringes, maybe more.
|30-40 years old||41-50 years old||51-60 years old||60-70 years old||>71 years old|
|Average Total volume over 3 sessions||1-3||3-5||4-6||>6||>7|
Deep nasolabial folds require 2-3 syringes of Restylane or Juvederm for ‘full correction’ or best results
- If the patient chooses just 1 syringe, and optimal results are NOT reached, the patient may think that the filler was absorbed a few days later after the swelling goes down and the filler that was injected may not last the expected duration of the package insert. One usually realizes that they need more volume a week after filler, which is why we also do fillers in multiple sessions.
- We provide a significant discount when multiple syringes of filler are required so that patients can attain full correction and get the best results and not have to compromise results for cost.