Allure magazine sought the opinion of top dermatologists in the nation to discuss their skin-care routines and tips. All dermatologists preach that determining and sticking to a core skin care routine that caters to a person’s skin type is paramount to maintain ideal skin health. Here is a summary of tips and routines that the dermatologists surveyed adhere to:
Aim for protecting the skin during the day by using vitamin C serums and hydrating sunscreen and repairing any damage in the evening using night creams/moisturizers.
- Using an Aquaphor or Vaseline ointment at night on lips and eyelids will help seal moisture in these areas that are prone to cracking and dryness. A good eye cream in the morning can also help decrease puffiness and undereye bags.
- 60 seconds after getting out of the shower is the ideal time to apply a thick layer of moisturizer to your body, to maintain optimal hydration throughout the night
- Get to know your skin. What works for one person’s skin does not work for others. For example, one person may need to exfoliate their skin two or three times a week, while another may not need to exfoliate as frequently.
- One dermatologist likes to treat herself to a Fraxel laser to target hyperpigmentation to help clear skin and smooth superficial texture.
- Hormones are a huge factor in skin health. It is especially important to keep stress hormones in check. Regular sleep and steady exercise helps temper down stress hormones. Additionally, try to avoid high-glycemic foods, as they can contribute to a surge in stress hormones in your body.
- Proper care for your neck and chest is just as important as the care you give your face.One dermatologist tells her patients that the face, neck and chest should be viewed and treated as one unit.
- Use a fragrance-free soap on your body, and always apply a generous amount of moisturizer from head to toe right after bathing.