Jackie McKesey, MD MS is a is a received her Medical Degree from Georgetown University, where she also earned her Master’s Degree in Physiology and Biophysics. At Georgetown, she received numerous academic awards and earned the prestigious title of Valedictorian. Dr. McKesey grew up in Washington, DC, and also has family roots in Belize and Los Angeles. Her love of medicine and physiology was born as an undergraduate at UCLA (Go Bruins!).
Dr. McKesey has clinical interests in improving texture and discoloration of her patient’s skin, procedural dermatology, and clinical trials. She completed a prestigious fellowship with renowned dermatologist Amit G. Pandya, MD in melanocyte transplantation for vitiligo, large-scale clinical trials, and cutting edge treatment of melasma. She completed her dermatology training at UT Southwestern in Dallas, Texas which is a top 10 program in nation according to the U.S. News & World Report. During her residency, Dr. McKesey served as Chief Resident of the VA Medical Center in Dallas, TX, in charge of 27 residents and a busy dermatology clinic and surgical schedule.
Dr. McKesey has gained numerous grants, awards, and leadership positions through the American Society of Laser Medicine and Surgery, Women’s Dermatologic Society, Dermatology In Review, and American Society of Dermatologic Surgery. She is currently on the Advisory Council for Dermatology in Review and writes educational blog posts and articles on NextStepsinDerm.com.
In her free time, Dr. McKesey volunteers at free clinics for the underserved. She has four adorable children to chase after and a busy personal trainer husband who is a former LSU football player. With just a little bit of free time, she enjoys trendy exercise classes such as SoulCycle, CycleBar, and F45.
Awards and Achievements
• Texas Dermatologic Society- 1st place podium presentation recipient 2022
• UT Southwestern Medical Center Department of Dermatology, Chief Resident 2021
• AAD Member Communications Committee, Resident member 2021
• ASLMS preceptorship awardee, mentor: Dr. Melanie Palm, San Diego, CA 2021
• Women’s Dermatologic Society UIM Resident Mentorship Award, mentor: Dr. Sabrina Fabi 2021
• San Diego Dermatology Symposium, resident reporter 2021
• Fall Clinical Dermatology Conference- Rising Star Resident 2020
• Dermatology-In-Review, Advisory Council Member 2020- current
• ASDS Jumpstart Research Seed Grant Recipient 2020- current
• Texas Dermatological Society, Podium Presentation Winner 2020
• ARTE Scholar, ODAC Dermatology Conference 2020, 2022
o 3rd Place Resident Physician Poster Competition
• Rising Stars Travel Grant, Skin of Color Symposium 2017
• Lilienfield Award for Excellence in Physiology 2017
• Josh Pletka Award, first ever two-time awardee, highest academic achievement 2017
• Cum Laude- Georgetown University School of Medicine 2017
• Georgetown University Dean’s Research Stipend 2015
• Nth Dimensions Minority Women’s Research Scholar, Mentor: Laura Tosi, MD 2014
• Valedictorian, Georgetown University Masters of Physiology and Biophysics 2013
Recent Blog posts:
• McKesey, J. Scarring Hair Loss: CCCA and Androgenetic Alopecia Decoded. Dec 2021. https://nextstepsinderm.com/derm-topics/scarring-hair-loss-ccca-and-androgenetic-alopecia-decoded/
• McKesey, J. The Art of Nail Findings in Patients with Skin of Color. Oct 2021. https://nextstepsinderm.com/derm-topics/the-art-of-nail-findings-in-patients-with-skin-of-color/
• McKesey, J. Pro Tips for RF Microneedling. Sept 2021. https://nextstepsinderm.com/derm-topics/pro-tips-for-rf-microneedling/
• McKesey, J. Actinic Keratoses: Evidence-Based Treatment Options. Mar 2021. https://nextstepsinderm.com/derm-topics/actinic-keratoses-evidence-based-treatment-options/
• McKesey, J. Easing the Management of Atopic Dermatitis. Feb 2021. https://nextstepsinderm.com/derm-topics/easing-the-management-of-atopic-dermatitis/
• McKesey, J. Practical Applications of Lasers and Energy-Based Modalities in Skin of Color. Nov 2020. https://nextstepsinderm.com/derm-topics/practical-applications-of-lasers-and-energy-based-modalities-in-skin-of-color/
• McKesey, J. Isotretinoin in Acne: Fact vs Fiction. Oct 2020. https://nextstepsinderm.com/derm-topics/isotretinoin-in-acne-fact-vs-fiction/
• McKesey, J. Dermoscopy pearls from an expert: pink, white and brown facial neoplasms. Apr 2022. In production, Next Steps in Derm
• McKesey, J. Intraoperative complications: what do to STAT. Apr 2022 https://nextstepsinderm.com/derm-topics/intraoperative-complications-in-dermatologic-surgery-what-to-do-stat/
• McKesey, J. Fungal infections at ODAC 2022: everything you ever wanted to know about tinea, onychomycosis and KOH preps. Mar 2022. In production, Next Steps in Derm
• McKesey, J. A Tale of 3 Private Practices. Mar 2022. In production, Next Steps in Derm
Papers and Publications
McKesey, J., Fabi, S. Is the technology era aging you? A scoping review. Dermatol Surg. June 2022.
Kim, A., McKesey, J., Thomas, Cr. Sporotrichoid Nodules and Hepatosplenic Lesions in a Patient with Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome. JAMA Dermatology. Apr 2022.
Siller, A., McKesey, J., Pandya A. Lack of social and cultural capital and it influence on diversity in dermatology. Pending submission. Apr 2022.
McKesey, J., Srivastava, D., Nijhawan, R. A systematic review: incidence of bacteremia, infective endocarditis, or prosthetic joint infection in dermatologic surgery. Dermatol Surg. Pending submission. Apr 2022.
Kim, A., McKesey, J., O’Brien, J. A case of methotrexate toxicity: a koebner phenomenon of skin necrosis. Pending submission.
Hans, A. , Reddy, K., Black, S., Thomas, J., Martinez Luna, O., McKesey, J. , Hynan, L., Pandya, A. Transcultural Assessment of Quality of Life in Patients with Vitiligo. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2021 Apr 20: S0190-9622 (21) 0073-8.
Kolitz, E., McKesey, J., Kwan, E., Gill, J., Mauskar, M. Strontium citrate associated drug reaction with eosinophilia and systemic symptoms syndrome with granulomatous dermatitis. JAAD Case Reports, Volume 10, 85-88.
McKesey, J., Tovar-Garza, A., Pandya, AG. Melasma Treatment: An Evidence-Based Review.
Am J Clin Dermatol. 2020 Apr; 21(2):173-225.
McKesey, J., Pandya, AG. A pilot study of 2% tofacitinib cream with narrow-band UVB for the
treatment of facial vitiligo. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2019 Aug;81(2):646-648.
Dina Y, McKesey J, Pandya AG. Disorders of Hypopigmentation. J Drugs Dermatol. 2019 Mar 1;
McKesey J, Cohen PR. Spontaneous Venous Aneurysm: Report of a Non-traumatic Superficial Venous Aneurysm on the Distal Arm. Cureus. 2018 May 17;10(5):e2641.
Feetham HJ, Jeong HS, McKesey J, Wickless H, Jacobe H. Skin care and cosmeceuticals:
Attitudes and trends among trainees and educators. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2018 Apr;17(2):220-6.
McKesey J, Vandergriff T, Wickless H. Not bitten by the bug: A CD30(+) lymphoproliferative disorder masquerading as arthropod bites. Am J Hematol. 2018 Feb;93(2):315-6.
Carney BC, McKesey JP, Rosenthal DS, Shupp JW. Treatment Strategies for Hypopigmentation in the
Context of Burn Hypertrophic Scars. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2018 Jan 18;6(1):e1642.
McKesey J, Berger TG, Lim HW, McMichael AJ, Torres A, Pandya AG. Cultural competence
for the 21st century dermatologist practicing in the United States. J Am Acad Dermatol.