Botox has been FDA approved since 2002 for treatment to temporarily improve the appearance of both moderate to severe frown lines between the brows, crow’s feet, a forehead wrinkles in adults. Botox partially relaxes the muscles responsible for these lines so the wrinkles cannot continue to have unwanted muscle contraction. With time, the wrinkles fade and you obtain a more youthful appearance and helps to prevent further wrinkling.
BOTOX® TREATMENT INSTRUCTIONS
- If you have or are currently suffering from cold sores, let your doctor know. A prescription is needed in order to get rid of any infection and eliminate the chance of developing sores post-treatment.
- Avoid anti-inflammatory and blood-thinning medication 10 to 14 days prior to treatment. These medications increase the chance of bruising and swelling at the injection site. Blood-thinning medications include Aspirin, Advil, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Fish Oil Supplements, Vitamin E, and other NSAIDs.
- Avoid alcohol 1 week before your treatment, it causes blood thinning which increases the risk of bruising.
- It is recommended that you schedule your appointment 2 weeks before a special event to allow ample time for bruising and swelling to disappear.
- If a rash, cold sore, or blemish appears in the treatment area, it is recommended that the appointment is rescheduled at least 48 hours in advance.
- Eat a healthy breakfast before the procedure to reduce the chances of lightheadedness, fainting, and nausea during treatment.
- To prevent bruising, consider taking Arnica for 1 week before the procedure. Allocate 5 tablets under the tongue 3 times a day.
- After treatment, you may have small bumps at each injection site. Do NOT rub or massage the areas for 4 hours after the injections.
- Avoid facials, laser treatments, microdermabrasion for up to 10 days after treatment.
- DO NOT lie down, do any heavy lifting, vigorous exercise, or active straining for 4 hours after treatment. Avoiding these movements will prevent migration of the medication to other parts of the body.
- Feel free to go about regular activities like showering and applying makeup (with light and gentle movements).
- It takes about 4 to 7 days for results to be seen. After 2 weeks, if desired results are not visible, you may require additional Botox.
WHAT DOES BOTOX TREAT?
Wrinkles result from a combination of many factors including cellular changes that can occur over time, reduction of collagen, and damage caused by free radicals in the sun and the environment. When you frown or concentrate, the muscles between your brows contract, causing your skin to furrow and fold and when you squint, the muscles around your eyes contract and cause crow’s feet. BOTOX® Cosmetic works beneath the skin’s surface and targets the underlying muscle activity that causes frown lines and crow’s feet.
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT FROM MY APPOINTMENT?
A Botox consultation and procedure take about ten minutes to complete.
You may begin to notice results within 24 to 48 hours for moderate to severe frown lines, with results lasting up to 4 months. Most patients see results on post-procedure day three and full results on post-procedure day seven. Treatment requires minimal downtime or recovery; you’ll be able to go about your normal routine immediately after.
HOW MANY UNITS DO I NEED?
|Frontalis (forehead wrinkles)||8-12 units||10-13 units|
|The Corrugator Supercilii (frown lines)||18-22 units||20-30 units|
|The Orbicularis Oculi (crows feet)||16-20 units||18-24 units|