The Alma Soprano is a laser that produces an intense but gentle burst of light that fragments selective and destroy pigmented hair follicles without harming the surrounding tissue. For the best results, multiple treatments will be necessary. Treatments are spaced approximately six to eight weeks apart to ensure the destruction of hairs in different growth cycles. This procedure results in permanent reduction of hair. Hair can never be permanently removed from an area as our bodies will continue to form new hair follicles resulting in new growth. However, the follicles that are treated by the laser will be destroyed and will no longer grow hair.
Description of the procedure:
It is asked that you wash off any makeup, sun block or lotions prior to the procedure. To protect your eyes from the intense light you will have your eyes covered with protective goggles. During the procedure you will feel a brief, warm sensation on the treatment area. If you experience any significant discomfort please let the staff know. Anesthesia is not necessary as this laser uses a cooling device that reduces discomfort.
Immediately following the laser treatment, the area may appear pink or red, which may last for up to two to three days. The area will also likely have edema (swelling), which may last for up to two hours or longer. The treated area may feel like a sunburn for a few hours after treatment. It is ok to use make up following the treatment. After the red discoloration disappears, hyperpigmentation (brown coloring) or hypopigmentation (light coloring) may occur. While this is not anticipated, it will gradually fade over time. Topical creams may be applied to expedite the fading of brown spots. It is essential to use sun block to the area until normal color returns.
Improper care of the treated area may increase the chance of scarring or skin textural changes to the treated area. It is very important to follow the aftercare instructions carefully and contact our staff with any concerns.
For the best results:
- Do not tweeze, wax, or use depilatories on the area to be treated for 4-6 weeks prior to treatment. In order for the treatment to be effective the hair must be in the follicle. Shaving is permissible recommended prior treatment.
- Please shave the area to be treated one to two days prior to treatment.
- This procedure should not be performed on patients taking Accutane or using Retin A, or are pregnant.
- Do not sunbathe prior to the treatment, the laser works by targeting the pigment in the hair. If the skin around the hair is dark, it can be targeted by the laser causing irritation to the skin and decreased penetration to the hair follicle.
Care of the Treated Area:
- Apply cool Aloe gel and or cortisone cream to the treated areas 2-3 times a day to reduce the local inflammation, prevent pigmentation and to ensure healing.
- Do not rub, scratch or pick at the treated area while any bruising or red discoloration is present.
- If the area becomes tender, swollen, reddened or shows signs of infection contact our office immediately.
- Avoid exposure to the sun and heat. Use an SPF of 15 or higher to prevent pigmentation changes until the treated areas have healed. If any areas become crusted or open, cover the area with a dressing while exposed to the sun.
- Avoid any type of retinol and glycol products, and the use of Clarisonic.