TREATMENT FOR ACNE SCARRING
Acne scarring is a common and frustrating condition. Patients often present with more than one type of acne scar, which may include- ice pick, boxcar, rolling, atrophic, and hypertrophic scars. Given the variety of presentations multiple treatment modalities are required to obtain the optimal treatment outcome, namely smoother appearing skin.
We offer a series of sequential and complimentary treatment modalities for acne scarring. A treatment plan is customized to the individual patient’s specific type of scarring. Some may require stepwise therapy; some may need only a single modality to improve their appearance.
Potential treatment steps include the following therapies:
- Subcision: Scars are detached from deeper tissue with a needle. This decreases tethering of rolling scars, elevating the skin to smooth the treatment site.
- Peels: Reduce the variability in the skin surface, softening the appearance of scars through rejuvenation of new collagen.
- Full face chemical peels
- Phenol spot chemabrasion
- Laser skin resurfacing; Improves redness and hyperpigmentation
- Pixel laser, Pulse dye laser
- Intralesional Kenalog: Injection into individual lesions thins and smoothes thickened or hypertrophic scars,
- Fillers: Injections with a filler substance beneath the scar can lift and smooth depressions due to rolling or atrophic scars.
- Bellafill®, Silicone, Radiesse, Restylane
Note that treatment needs to be individualized. Some patients may require multiple sessions of a single modality to obtain the best result. Packages are available for each of the therapeutic modalities offered by our clinic.