Dr. Peter Rullan
Dr. Peter Rullan has been in private practice in Chula Vista since 1983. He is married and has four children. He was born in San Juan, Puerto Rico. His father’s family is French-Spanish from Majorca, and his mother’s is Ukrainian-Polish from New York. He is one of 20 physicians in his family over the last four generations.Dr. Rullan did his undergraduate training at the University of Chicago. He received his Doctorate in Medicine from the University of Puerto Rico. He did his Internship and Dermatology training at the University of California, Irvine. He became Board Certified in Dermatology in 1983. Dr Rullan has the distinct honor of being a Diplomate of 3 Boards: the American Boards of Dermatology, Cosmetic Surgery and Facial Cosmetic Surgery.
Dr. Rullan is a Fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology and of the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery since 1984. He is Past-President of the San Diego Dermatologic Surgical and Medical Societies. He has lectured and conducted clinical training seminars both locally and internationally in the art of chemical peeling. He has been selected as one of “America’s Best Doctors” (2002-2014) and “San Diego’s Best Doctors” (2003-2004). “San Diego’s Best Doctors” is selected by his peers and other physicians when asked “who would you send your family to?”- as reported in the “San Diego Magazine”.
Dr. Rullan is widely published and has been featured multiple times on local and national television news segments (CBS, ABC, KUSI, FOX). He is an author in chapters on Chemical Peels in 5 medical textbooks, and has lectured nationally and internationally over 100 times. He is a Volunteer Clinical Faculty at UCSD School of Medicine, Department of Dermatology.
His areas of special interests and training include the treatment of Acne and Psoriasis; Chemical Peels for Acne Scars, Skin Rejuvenation and Pigmentation; Tumescent Liposuction and Lipotransfer; Skin Cancer Treatment with Mohs Surgery and Reconstruction; And Sclerotherapy of Spider and Varicose Veins. His research in immunodermatology was published in “The Archives of Dermatology”, and has multiple other publications in peer-reviewed journals such as The American Journal of Cosmetic Surgery, The Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Journal (PRS), The Journal of Facial Plastic Surgery and Journal of Drugs in Dermatology. He is one of only 20 physicians in the U.S. that are part of a 5-year prospective study on the safety of Artefill injections for the correction of facial wrinkles (soon to be published).
In 2013, Dr. Rullan was asked to be on Allergan’s Advisory Board in San Diego. He was also invited to be a “Faculty Member”of the new skin care line by Dr. Obagi, “Z.O.”.He served on the Board of the California Academy of Cosmetic Surgery for 8 years. Dr. Rullan is Past-President of the Rotary Club of Chula Vista. His hobbies include golf, snow-skiing, scuba diving and playing guitar.
Dr. Rullan is also a member of The Hair Removal Journal, see his profile here at Laser Hair Removal San Diego.
- Distinct honor of being a Diplomate of 3 Boards: the American Boards of Dermatology, Cosmetic Surgery and Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- Secretary of the California Academy of Cosmetic Surgery (CACS)
- Voluntary Associate Clinical Professor for the UCSD School of Medicine
- Voted by thousands of his peers to be one of the best Doctors in America.
- Selected as a Top Dermatologist in the world by the International Association of Dermatologists.
- Spotlighted in the renowned publication, The Leading Physicians of The World.
Dr Rullan lectures nationally and internationally including:
- Faculty Speaker at the 23rd world Congress of Dermatology in Cacun, Mexico
- Faculty Speaker at the 22nd World Congress of Dermatology in Korea.
- Featured Speaker at the convention of the Chinese Academy of Dermatology meeting.
- The Featured Speaker at the 27th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery, Arizona
- Featured speaker at the Brazilian society of Cosmetic Dermatology.
- Future faculty speaker at the 2012 World Congress of Cosmetic Dermatology in Cancun, Mexico.
- Medical Director of the CACS sponsored “Live Phenol Peel Course” 2012 and 2013
- Voted the best Skin Care Professional in the South County 2012 and again in 2013
- Past President of the San Diego Society of Dermatology and dermatologic Surgery.
- Staff consultant since 1983 at Sharp Community and Scripps Mercy hospitals.
- Past President of Chula Vista Rotary 1992-93 and is still actively involved.
- “Experience with Artecoll” (Dr. Rullan was one of the 8 leading investigators for an FDA-study in the use of a permanent filler for wrinkles)
- Most scholarly article of 2004: American Journal of Cosmetic Surgery, awarded by the Trustees of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery for his work with Phenol Peels
SCIENTIFIC JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS AND ORIGINAL RESEARCH:
- PRullan;R.Barr;G.Cole: Arch Dermatol,, Sep 1984; 120: 1179 – 1183″The Effects of Cyclosporin on Murine Allergic Contact Dermatitis
- Artecoll- my personal experience- The Journal of Facial Plastic Surgery2004-
- Rullan PP, Lemon J , Rullan J. The 2-Day Light Phenol Chemabrasion for Deep Wrinkles and Acne Scars: A Presentation of Face and Neck Peels. Am J Cosmet Surg 2004;21:199-210.
- Editorial, Am J Cosm Surg- Aug 2005 (on the Phenol peel).
- “Artecoll: A Long Lasting Injectable Wrinkle Filler Material: Report of a Controlled, Randomized, Multicenter Clinical Trial of 251 Subjects”( co-author)-Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 114:964, 2004
- “Artefill:A lon-Lasting Injectable Wrinkle Filler Material-Summary of the US Food and Drug Administration Trials and a Progress Report on the 4-to-5 year Outcomes.”-Plast Reconstr.Surg. 118(3S) Suppl:64S-76S, Sept. 2006 (co-author)
- “Avoiding and Treating Dermal Filler Complications”.Plast Reconst. Surg. 118(S)Suppl:92S-107S, September 2006 (co-author)
- “1stPMMA World Congress”Proceedings- submitted toCosmetic Dermatology 10/07
- “Triamcinolone mesotherapy for inducing cosmetic fat atrophy”- with Dr Doris Hexsler of Brazil, submitted for publication Derm Surg Journal
- Same topic, Poster, at the AAD 2009 Annual meeting, San Francisco 3/8/9
- “The use of Enbrel for Atopic Dermatitis-Two case reports”….Published in the Journal of Drugs in Dermatology.(JDD)for 9/09.
- “Gelfoam for Secondary Wound healing after Mohs surgery”– accepted for publication JDD June 2010
- “Using a handheld phototherapy module for treating patients with psoriasis and vitiligo”. PRullan, Cosm Derm July 2010; Vol23,No7,p321-326
- “Regression and classification methods for nasolabial folds: A possible paradigm for computer-aided diagnosis of skin diseases”
- Novel Polymethylmethacrylate Soft Tissue Filler for the Correction of Nasolabial Folds: Interim Results of a 5-Year Long-Term Safety and Patient Satisfaction StudyNarins, Rhoda S.; Cohen, Steven R, P Rullan, et al.; The Five-Year Investigator Study Group Dermatologic Surgery. 36(1):766-774, May 2010.
- J Am Acad Dermatol. 2018 Jun 20. pii: S0190-9622(18)32184-4. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2018.06.030. [Epub ahead of print]
- Augmentation and eversion of lips without injections: the lip peel.
- Wambier CG1,Neitzke IC2, Lee KC3, Soon SL4, Rullan PP5, Landau M6, Simão JCL7, Sterling JB8, Brody HJ9; International Peeling Society (IPS).
- J Am Acad Dermatol. 2018 Dec 11. pii: S0190-9622(18)33051-2. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2018.11.060. [Epub ahead of print]
- Advanced chemical peels: phenol-croton oil peel.Wambier CG1, Lee KC2, Soon SL3, Sterling JB4, Rullan PP5, Landau M6, Brody HJ7; International Peeling Society (IPS).
- J Am Acad Dermatol. 2018 Dec 11. pii: S0190-9622(18)33049-4. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2018.10.079. [Epub ahead of print]
- Basic chemical peeling-superficial and medium-depth peels.Lee KC1, Wambier CG2, Soon SL3, Sterling JB4, Landau M5, Rullan P6, Brody HJ7; International Peeling Society(IPS).
- J Am Acad Dermatol.2018 Dec 5. pii: S0190-9622(18)32978-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2018.11.044. [Epub ahead of print]
- Segmental phenol-Croton oil chemical peels for treatment of periorbital or perioral rhytides.Lee KC1, Sterling JB2, Wambier CG3, Soon SL4, Landau M5, Rullan P6, Brody HJ7; International Peeling Society (IPS).
- J Am Acad Dermatol.2019 May, Vol 80,no.5 .e119(online)
- Wambier,Neitzke,Lee,Soon,Rullan et al. “Augmentation and eversion of lips without injections: The Lip Peel.
PAST Scientific Meeting presentations (over 100)-will send list on request))
FUTURE SCIENTIFIC MEETINGS:
- “The Lost Art of Chemical peels” and Live Demo @ Masters of Aesthetics, San Diego, 8/18
- “Live Medium and Deep peel Workshop” @ Annual meeting ASDS in Phoenix, 10/08
- “Treatment of Acne Scars in all skin types” Lecture and Live Demo, @ DASIL 2018, Buenos Aires, 10/18
- “The Lost Art of Chemical peels” @ DASIL 2018
- “Hetter Deep Peels” @ IMCAS, Paris, 2019
- “Pearls from the Masters in Dermatologic Surgery” @ AAD Annual Convention, in Washington DC, 3/19
- “The Lost Art of Chemical peels” and “Hetter Peels” @ the World Congress of Dermatology, in Milan, Italy, 6/19.
- Aesthetic 2019 New Delhi, India: Chemical peel Workshop, August 9-11, 2019
Medical Director, Live Phenol and Chemical Peel Courses:
- Live 2-day Phenol peel at Brazilian Cosmetic Dermatology Society Annual Convention “Cosmetria”, July 2004, Sao Paolo’s Sirio-Lebanes Hospital
- Live 2-day Phenol peel course to the Dept. Of Dermatology, Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon, Facultad de Medicina, Monterrey, Mexico
- June 2, 2012, San Diego, sponsored by California Academy of Cosmetic Surgery
- June 22, 2013: 2ndAnnual Phenol peel live course, San Diego (with CACS)
- April 24-26 2016, IPS sponsored, Munich Germany: Medical Director, Live Chemical peel course with Dr Luitgard Wiest
- January 2017, IPS sponsored, Aarau, Switzerland,4 day course on medium and deep peels.
- April 2017: IPS sponsored, 3 day live, medium and deep peel course, St. Petersburg, FL., with Drs. Brody and Kass
- Feb.2018: IPS sponsored, pre-AAD Live medium and deep peel course, Chula Vista CA (my office), with Drs. Brody and Bensimon
- October 10,2018: ASDS/IPS Live workshop, Phoenix; co-director
- February 27-28, 2019: AAD/IPS live workshop, Washington DC; co-director
- October 23, 2019: ASDS Annual Meeting – Chemical Peel Session
- Mathes’Textbook “Plastic Surgery”, Vol.2 Head and Neck Part I, Chapter 51 on “Resurfacing”, pages 379-80..refers to my work on Phenol Peels.(2006).
- Chapter on “Chemical peels in darker skin types and non-caucasians”: Clinics in Facial Plastic Surgery–co-author with Amir Karam, MD;Facial Plast Surg Clin N Am – (2009) …
- Book, Rubin & Tung, Chemical Peels: Chapter : Peeling in Darker Skin Types (co-author with Dr. Hexsel) 2010
- “Chemical peels for the aging face of all skin types”Goldman and Karam’s book on “The Aging Face: Surgical Options”, textbook, Author, Chapter 12, on Chemical peels 2015
- ”Deep Chemical peels for all skin types”, (Editors Dr Rashmi Sarkar,MD and Dr Wendy Roberts,MD),chapter for the book title “Chemical Peels- a Global Perspective” by Jaypee Brothers Publishers Pvt Ltd,New Delhi,India..in print
- “2-day Crotonoil/ Phenol Chemabrasion” For Dr. Suzan Obagi’s new textbook…pending
- Chemical Reconstruction of Skin Scars (CROSS) and Subcision(Dr S. Obagi’s textbook)
- Working on “Chemical peels for Periorbital Rejuvenation” for Dr. Ashraf Badawi’s book “Periorbital Rejuvenation”