Dr. Peter Rullan has been in private practice in Chula Vista since 1983. He is married and has four children. He was born in San Juan, Puerto Rico. He is one of 20 physicians in his family over the last four generations. Dr. Rullan did his undergraduate training at the University of Chicago. He received his Doctorate in Medicine from the University of Puerto Rico. He did his Internship and Dermatology training at the University of California, Irvine. He became Board Certified in Dermatology in 1983. Dr Rullan has the distinct honor of being a Diplomate of 3 Boards: the American Board of Dermatology, : the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery and the American Board Facial Cosmetic Surgery.
Dr. Rullan is Past-President of the San Diego Dermatologic Surgical Society; of the San Diego Dermatology Society; and of the Chula Vista Rotary Club. He served on the Board of the California Academy of Cosmetic Surgery for 8 years. Dr. Rullan is widely published and has been featured multiple times on local and national television news segments (CBS, ABC, KUSI, FOX). He is an author in 13 chapters on Chemical Peels in 12 medical textbooks, He has lectured and conducted clinical training seminars both locally and internationally in the art of chemical peeling over 100 times. He is a Volunteer Clinical Faculty at UCSD School of Medicine, Department of Dermatology and at the San Diego Naval Hospital’s Department of Dermatology.
His areas of special interests and training include the treatment of Acne and Psoriasis, Chemical Peels for Acne Scars, Skin Rejuvenation and Pigmentation, Tumescent Liposuction and Lipotransfer, Skin Cancer Treatment with Mohs Surgery and Reconstruction, Immunodermatology and Sclerotherapy of Spider and Varicose Veins. He also has dozens of other publications in peer-reviewed journals such as The American Academy of Dermatology, The Archives of Dermatology, the American Journal of Cosmetic Surgery, the Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (PRS), the Journal of Facial Plastic Surgery and the Journal of Drugs in Dermatology. He is one of only 20 physicians in the U.S. that were part of a 5-year prospective study on the safety of Artefill/Bellafill injections for the correction of facial wrinkles.
His hobbies include golf, snow-skiing, scuba diving and playing guitar.
Lectures (+100): Nationally and Internationally including:
* Faculty Speaker at the 23rd world Congress of Dermatology in Cancun, Mexico
* Faculty Speaker at the 22nd World Congress of Dermatology in Korea.*Faculty Speaker at the 24th World Congress of Dermatology in Milan, Italy 2019
* Featured Speaker at the convention of the Chinese Academy of Dermatology meeting 2012
* The Featured Speaker at the 27th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery, Arizona
* Featured speaker at the Brazilian society of Cosmetic Dermatology.
* Medical Director of the CACS sponsored “Live Phenol Peel Course” 2012 and 2013
* 1st National Sales-force Training for Artecoll- gave live Demonstration on Injection Technique
* “The Lost Art of Chemical peels” and Live Demo @ Masters of Aesthetics, San Diego, 8/18
* “Live Medium and Deep peel Workshop” @ Annual meeting ASDS in Phoenix, 10/08
* “Treatment of Acne Scars in all skin types” Lecture and Live Demo, @ DASIL 2018, Buenos Aires, 10/18
* “The Lost Art of Chemical peels” @ DASIL 2018
* “Hetter Deep Peels” @ IMCAS, Paris, 2019
* “Pearls from the Masters in Dermatologic Surgery” @ AAD Annual Convention, in Washington DC, 3/19
* “The Lost Art of Chemical peels” and “Hetter Peels” @ the World Congress of Dermatology, in Milan, Italy, 6/19.
* Aesthetic 2019 New Delhi, India: Chemical peel Workshop, August 9-11, 2019
* ASDS 2019, Chicago: Speaker, Chemical Peel Session
Medical Co-Director of 12 Live Phenol and Chemical Peel Courses for Dermatology Societies:
* Live 2-day Phenol peel at Brazilian Cosmetic Dermatology Society Annual Convention “Cosmetria”, July 2004, Sao Paolo’s Sirio-Lebanes Hospital
* Live 2-day Phenol peel course to the Dept. Of Dermatology, Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon, Facultad de Medicina, Monterrey, Mexico
* June 2, 2012, San Diego, sponsored by California Academy of Cosmetic Surgery
* June 22, 2013: 2ndAnnual Phenol peel live course, San Diego (with CACS)
* April 24-26 2016, IPS sponsored, Munich Germany: Medical Director, * Live Chemical peel course with Dr Luitgard Wiest
* January 2017, IPS sponsored, Aarau, Switzerland,4 day course on medium and deep peels.
* April 2017: IPS sponsored, 3 day live, medium and deep peel course, St. Petersburg, FL., with Drs. Brody and Kass
* Feb.2018: IPS sponsored, pre-AAD Live medium and deep peel course, Chula Vista CA (my office), with Drs. Brody and Bensimon
* October 10,2018: ASDS/IPS Live workshop, Phoenix; co-director
* February 27-28, 2019: AAD/IPS live workshop, Washington DC; co-director
* ASDS 2019, Co-Director Live Chemical peel Workshop, Chicago
* Aesthetic 2019 New Delhi, India: Chemical peel Workshop, August 9-11, 2019
* Puerto Rico Dermatology Society Peel Workshop: June 24, 2021
* ASDS 2021 Annual Convention, Chicago (October)
* Most scholarly article of 2004: American Journal of Cosmetic Surgery”- awarded by the Trustees of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery for his work with Phenol Peels
* Selected as “America’s Best/Top Doctors” (2002-2021)
“San Diego’s Best Doctors” as reported in the “San Diego Magazine”.
* PRullan;R.Barr;G.Cole: Arch Dermatol,, Sep 1984; 120: 1179 – 1183″The Effects of Cyclosporin on Murine Allergic Contact Dermatitis
* Artecoll- my personal experience- The Journal of Facial Plastic Surgery2004-
* Rullan PP, Lemon J , Rullan J. The 2-Day Light Phenol Chemabrasion for Deep Wrinkles and Acne Scars: A Presentation of Face and Neck Peels. Am J Cosmet Surg 2004;21:199-210.
Editorial, Am J Cosm Surg- Aug 2005 (on the Phenol peel).
* “Artecoll: A Long Lasting Injectable Wrinkle Filler Material: Report of a Controlled, Randomized, Multicenter Clinical Trial of 251 Subjects”( co-author)-Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 114:964, 2004
* “Artefill:A long-Lasting Injectable Wrinkle Filler Material-Summary of the US Food and Drug Administration Trials and a Progress Report on the 4-to-5 year Outcomes.”-Plast Reconstr.Surg. 118(3S) Suppl:64S-76S, Sept. 2006 (co-author)
* “Avoiding and Treating Dermal Filler Complications”.Plast Reconst. Surg. 118(S)Suppl:92S-107S, September 2006 (co-author)
* “1stPMMA World Congress” Proceedings- submitted to Cosmetic Dermatology 10/07
* “Triamcinolone mesotherapy for inducing cosmetic fat atrophy”- with Dr Doris Hexsler of Brazil, submitted for publication Derm Surg Journal Same topic, Poster, at the AAD 2009 Annual meeting, San Francisco 3/8/9
* “The use of Enbrel for Atopic Dermatitis-Two case reports”….Published in the Journal of Drugs in Dermatology.(JDD)for 9/09.
* “Gelfoam for Secondary Wound healing after Mohs surgery”– JDD June 2010
* “Using a handheld phototherapy module for treating patients with psoriasis and vitiligo”. PRullan, Cosm Derm July 2010; Vol23,No7,p321-326
* “Regression and classification methods for nasolabial folds: A possible paradigm for computer-aided diagnosis of skin diseases”- Article Dec 2013” The Journal of Dermatology” with David E Lluncor,Serge Belongie and Vera B Morhenn
• Novel Polymethylmethacrylate Soft Tissue Filler for the Correction of Nasolabial Folds: Interim Results of a 5-Year Long-Term Safety and Patient Satisfaction StudyNarins, Rhoda S.; Cohen, Steven R, P Rullan, et al.; The Five-Year Investigator Study Group Dermatologic Surgery. 36(1):766-774, May 2010.
J Am Acad Dermatol. 2018 Jun 20. pii: S0190-9622(18)32184-4. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2018.06.030. [Epub ahead of print]
* AUGMENTATION AND EVERSION OF LIPS WITHOUT INJECTIONS: THE LIP PEEL.
Wambier CG1,Neitzke IC2, Lee KC3, Soon SL4, Rullan PP5, Landau M6, Simão JCL7, Sterling JB8, Brody HJ9; International Peeling Society (IPS).
J Am Acad Dermatol. 2018 Dec 11. pii: S0190-9622(18)33051-2. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2018.11.060. [Epub ahead of print]
* ADVANCED CHEMICAL PEELS: PHENOL-CROTON OIL PEEL.WAMBIER CG1, LEE KC2, SOON SL3, STERLING JB4, RULLAN PP5, LANDAU M6, BRODY HJ7; INTERNATIONAL PEELING SOCIETY (IPS).
J Am Acad Dermatol. 2018 Dec 11. pii: S0190-9622(18)33049-4. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2018.10.079. [Epub ahead of print]
* BASIC CHEMICAL PEELING-SUPERFICIAL AND MEDIUM-DEPTH PEELS.LEE KC1, WAMBIER CG2, SOON SL3, STERLING JB4, LANDAU M5, RULLAN P6, BRODY HJ7; INTERNATIONAL PEELING SOCIETY(IPS).
J Am Acad Dermatol.2018 Dec 5. pii: S0190-9622(18)32978-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2018.11.044. [Epub ahead of print]
* SEGMENTAL PHENOL-CROTON OIL CHEMICAL PEELS FOR TREATMENT OF PERIORBITAL OR PERIORAL RHYTIDES.LEE KC1, STERLING JB2, WAMBIER CG3, SOON SL4, LANDAU M5, RULLAN P6, BRODY HJ7; INTERNATIONAL PEELING SOCIETY (IPS).
J Am Acad Dermatol.2019 May, Vol 80,no.5 .e119(online)
Wambier,Neitzke,Lee,Soon,Rullan et al. “Augmentation and eversion of lips without injections: The Lip Peel.
* Rullan P. Efficacy and Safety of Oral Tranexamic Acid as an Adjuvant in Indian Patients With Melasma: A Prospective, Interventional, Single-Centre, Triple-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Control, Parallel Group Study. PracticeUpdate website. Available at: https://www.practiceupdate.com/content/efficacy-and-safety-of-oral-tranexamic-acid-as-an-adjuvant-in-indian-patients-with-melasma/102976/65/4/1. Accessed July 10, 2020
• *A COMBINATION APPROACH TO TREATING ACNE SCARS IN ALL SKIN TYPES: Carbolic CROSS, Blunt Bi-level cannula subcision, and Microneedling- A case series”. JCAD 2020; 13(5):19-23
* Mathes’Textbook “Plastic Surgery”, Vol.2 Head and Neck Part I, Chapter 51 on “Resurfacing”, pages 379-80..refers to my work on Phenol Peels.(2006).
* Chapter on “Chemical peels in darker skin types and non-caucasians”: Clinics in Facial Plastic Surgery–co-author with Amir Karam, MD;Facial Plast Surg Clin N Am – (2009) …
* Book, Rubin & Tung, Chemical Peels: Chapter : Peeling in Darker Skin Types (co-author with Dr. Hexsel) 2010
* “Chemical peels for the aging face of all skin types”- Goldman and Karam’s book on “REJUVENATION OF THE AGING FACE” textbook, Author, Chapter 12, on Chemical peels 2015
* ”Deep Chemical peels for all skin types”, (Editors Dr Rashmi Sarkar,MD and Dr Wendy Roberts,MD),chapter for the book t“Chemical Peels- a Global Perspective” by Jaypee Brothers Publishers Pvt Ltd,New Delhi,India
* “The Rullan 2-day Croton oil/ Phenol Chemabrasion Peel”, Chapter 12, 3rd Edition; edited by Dr. Suzan Obagi’s textbook: “Chemical Peels” 2021
• Chemical Reconstruction of Skin Scars (CROSS) and Subcision(Dr S. Obagi’s upcoming textbook)
* In print: “Chemical peels for Periorbital Rejuvenation” and
• Chemical peels for Periorbital Hyperepigmentation”- for Dr. Ashraf Badawi’s book “Periorbital Rejuvenation”